Warning: Use of undefined constant tc_code_before - assumed 'tc_code_before' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /wp-content/plugins/the-content-injection/TC_Injection.php on line 25
Warning: Use of undefined constant tc_code_after - assumed 'tc_code_after' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /wp-content/plugins/the-content-injection/TC_Injection.php on line 26
Impotence also called erectile dysfunction; it is a condition in which the penis of a man is not able to maintain the erection, which makes it difficult having sexual intercourse. One should not confuse the issue with another disorder, which is premature ejaculation.
Among the leading causes of impotence include:
- Vascular disease – the lack of an erection is due to a problem with the delivery of a sufficient amount of blood to the shaft of the penis – is the most common medical cause of impotence.
- Nerve damage – the malfunction makes it difficult to achieve and maintain an erection; nerve damage can occur as a result of diabetes, multiple sclerosis, prostate surgery or by spinal cord injury.
- Psychological factors – psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, guilt or fear can sometimes cause sexual problems; it happens that these factors are an important cause of impotence and also the shame associated with the problem may worsen the physical symptoms of weakness.
- Use of medications – many drugs interferes with sexual function, can be among them mentioned medications for high blood pressure, depression, heart disease and prostate cancer.
- Hormonal problems – disorders of certain hormones can interfere with erections and weaken the sex drive; hormonal problems, such as low levels of testosterone do not are frequent causes of impotence.
Men who have problems with erection or its maintenance, usually have a disturbed sexual activity. Impotence can occur suddenly or progressively proceed. In patients whose impotence is largely caused by psychological factors, the problem may manifest itself in unpredictable ways.
Diagnosis and treatment of impotence
Understanding the medical history of the patient is essential for the assessment of its causes. Vascular disorders affect the whole body, so many men with this problem also suffer from heart disease, poor circulation in the legs or strokes.
Neurological problems can cause symptoms in different parts of the body, and abnormal hormone levels – reduce sex drive.
The initial physical exam includes accurate checking of the penis and testicles, doing other tests and blood testing, including those relating to the level of blood sugar, cholesterol, or certain hormones.
The problem is treatable in all age groups, and its duration depends on the cause and the rate of correct diagnosis.
Impotence can be prevented mainly through appropriate choices and positive lifestyle changes like:
- a healthy diet and daily physical activity,
- avoidance of smoking,
- maintaining healthy blood pressure,
- care of the proper level of cholesterol in the blood,
- while taking medicine, it is important to familiarize yourself with the side effects.
Impotence treatment consists in the use of medications such as phosphodiesterase type 5, which are used orally. They may be less effective in men with neurological disorders. They are also used other therapies such as injections or suppositories.
In men with hormonal disorders, is helpful hormonal therapy, increasing the level of testosterone. On the other hand impotent, who have psychological problems are treated through behavioral therapies, counseling or therapy for couples.
The more invasive treatment is a surgical procedure involving the implantation of penile. Surgical intervention is sometimes also necessary in men with vascular problems, especially when impotence, it follows from the groin injury.
To the doctor should be notified if the impotence and problems with maintaining an erection last more than three months. A disorder associated with psychological factors may be treated on its own, but should verify that it does not stack up with some physical factor.
Treatment of many cases of this problem, it may not be possible, but many methods allow restoring sexual functions.