Warning: Use of undefined constant tc_code_before - assumed 'tc_code_before' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /wp-content/plugins/the-content-injection/TC_Injection.php on line 25
Warning: Use of undefined constant tc_code_after - assumed 'tc_code_after' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /wp-content/plugins/the-content-injection/TC_Injection.php on line 26
Nausea is a commonly known symptom, which distinguish itself with a discomfort and unpleasant sensation felt in the stomach and frequently leads to an involuntary necessity to vomit. It can have either physical or psychological origin and be present for a short period of time or be chronic. Nausea is considered as a non-specific symptom, which means it does not indicate any specific disorder. It may appear due to gastrointestinal tract disorders, emotional stress, motion sickness, food poisoning and many more. Effective treatment method for this ailment include antiemetic medication intake. The most dangerous complication associated with nausea is the dehydration, which in extreme cases may lead to death.
The most common causes
Nausea is not a disease itself, but only a symptom. It is usually accompanied by the combination of other features of particular disease, thus it cannot indicate one specific disorder. There are over 700 potential causes of nausea, and the most common ones are gastrointestinal tract infections and foodborne illnesses.
Other possible causes include:
- Emotional stress
- Motion sickness
- Use of certain medications
- Alcohol overuse
- Intense pain
- Severe headaches or migraines
The most important part of relieving the nausea is to eradicate the disease which caused it. Specific treatment is not always required, however if needed, it commonly includes antiemetic medications intake. For instance, they may include substances like meclizine and scopolamine for motion sickness, metoclopramide and prochlorperazine for headaches or pyridoxine and doxylamine for nausea during early stages of pregnancy.
Home remedies for nausea
There are various adjustments which can be made on a daily basis in order to prevent or relieve this type of ailment.
One of the most common prevention advices include:
- Eating regularly with small portions of meal, which will prevent from overeating.
- Avoiding food products which could be contaminated or look and smell suspiciously.
- Avoiding larger quantities of alcohol.
- Quitting smoking
- Do not read book or use a smartphone in a vehicle, airplane or boat.
Whereas home treatment methods include:
- Drinking a lot of fluids, especially clear ones like water, in order to maintain proper fluid balance and prevent from dehydration.
- Eating small, simple and frequent meals, which will not exhaust the stomach and disturb digestion
- Avoid drinking coffee or fizzy drinks and smoking
When to see a doctor
If simple home care treatment methods are insufficient, nausea might require professional approach. Healthcare is highly recommended if one or more of those features appear: